Full guide to processing a Spain Student Visa

i will  be guiding You on how  to get a Spanish Study Visa

  • Take or extend studies in an authorized teaching center, to obtain an official degree.
  • Carry out research or training activities.
  • Participate in exchange programs for students in any educational or scientific, public or private, officially recognized centers.
  • Perform non-work placements.
  • Carry out volunteer services as a student.

How to Apply for a Spain Student Visa?

The application process for a Spain Study Visa can often be complicated, requires a lot of energy, and a lot of documents to be collected. That is why, when you put so much effort on it, you want the outcomes to be positive.

Even if you have everything ready, but you apply too early, or too late, or at the wrong place, then the outcomes will not be very pleasant.To make sure you get a positive answer on your application, complete the steps given below.

Do I Need a Spain Study Visa?

If you are a national of a country in Europe, there is a high chance that you do not need a visa to study in sprain. Instead, they can just move to Spain, settle here, complete the procedures required in Spain, and start studying.

If by now, you have figured out that you DO need a visa to study in Spain, then you can start applying. Yet, before you start the concrete procedures, you need to figure out a few things. Note that applying on the right time, at the right place, and for the right visa are crucial.

Make Sure You Complete the Pre-Eligibility Criteria for a Spanish Study Visa

This is the basement of your application. If you do not meet the pre-eligibility criteria, the chances to get a visa are zero. You must meet one of the following to be able to apply:

  • You are admitted to an accredited educational institution in Spain.
  • You are admitted at an officially recognized research or training center in Spain.
  • You have an agreement signed with a public or private body or entity, a vocational training center or an organization where you will be volunteering.

Check When and Where to Apply

The earliest you can apply is three months before your intended departure to Spain, while the latest is three weeks. Yet, you are recommended to apply at least one month in advance.

You should lodge your application at the Spanish consulate in your country of residence, or a third-party visa application center, to which Spain has outsourced visa submission.  It all depends on how Spain has regulated visa submission in your country of residence.

Complete the D Visa Application Form

The application form for a Spain Study Visa is the first document you should obtain/complete. The form should not be confused with the Schengen Visa application form since they are different.

The application form for a long-stay study visa contains questions on your identity, intended period of stay in Spain, the purpose of visa application, and other questions on your background.

Make sure all the information you give in this form is correct and in compliance with the information that the other documents contain.

Collect the Supporting Documents to Apply for Spain Study Visa

Next, continue collecting the required documents to apply for a Spain Study Visa. Aside from the main required documents for a Spain visa that include the application form, your valid passport, photos, and photocopies of previous visas and passports, you need to submit additional documents.

First, submit the documents that prove your purpose of applying for a Study Visa:

  • Studying: Admission letter issued by an educational institution (school/college/university) accredited in Spain. This document must contain the start and end dates of the course.
  • Research or training: Admission letter issued by a research or training center officially recognized in Spain.
  • Non-labor practices: An agreement signed between you and a public or private body or entity, or an officially recognized vocational training center.
  • Volunteer service: An agreement signed between you and an organization in charge of the program. The document must list and describe the activities you need to perform, as well as the available resources to cover your trip, food, and accommodation during your stay.

Then you need to submit documents regarding your stay in Spain. These documents are:

  • Proof of economic solvency. During the year 2019, an amount of about €540 is required for each month of stay in Spain, in order to cover expenses of subsistence. You will have to submit one or more of the following:
    • Bank statements for the last three months.
    • Scholarship award.
    • Documents that prove the studies have been paid by you or are covered by the body with which the activity will be carried out.
    • In case your parents will pay the expenses, a notarized document must be presented, signed by them, stating their commitment to cover the expenses. You should also submit a copy of parents’ banking history of the last two months, a photocopy of their passports and your birth certificate.
  • Medical Insurance. You must purchase health insurance arranged with an insurance company authorized to operate in Spain with a validity of one year. Travel insurance is not accepted.
  • Proof of accommodation. This could be a rent or dorm agreement, or letter issued by the academic institution indicating details of the accommodation. In the case of accommodation in a private residence, you must present a letter from the owners in the one that expresses its agreement.

If the duration of the requested stay is more than six months, it is also necessary to provide:

  • Official medical certificate. This document must not be older than three months. It should be duly apostilled, with a translation into Spanish.
  • A certificate of criminal record issued in the country where you have resided in the last five years. This document too, must not be older than 90 days, must be duly apostilled, with translation into Spanish.
  • In case the applicant is a minor, a notarized consent of parents or legal guardians indicating the center of studies, address and personal data of the person responsible for the child in Spain is compulsory.

Make a Visa Appointment & Attend the Interview

Depending on how Spanish authorities in your country of residence have regulated appointments, you will be able to schedule a visa interview in two forms:

  • Online through the website of the consulate or third-party visa center.
  • Through phone.

On the day of your interview, you will need to complete three procedures:

  1. Give your biometrics. If this is the first time traveling to the Schengen territory in the last five years, you will need to give your biometrics. This means you will have your facial image and fingerprints taken.
  2. Attend the interview. The interview will last between 10-20 minutes. A visa consular will ask you questions regarding your application, background and the intention of your trip to Spain. You will also need to give the required documents, and answer any questions asked related to these documents.
  3. Pay the visa fee. In most countries, you will need to pay the visa fee during the interview, or just before you meet the visa consular. However, in some others, you will need to pay the fee prior to the day of your appointment at the bank or online.

After you complete these steps, you need to wait for the processing of your visa. Usually, it takes about a month for your application to be processed. Once you get the visa, you can freely travel to Spain.

After You Arrive in Spain

Upon arrival in Spain, depending on the intended period of stay, you may have another one or two steps left to complete.

Note that if you are permitted to stay in Spain for a maximum of 180 days, then you do not need to complete any other procedures. On the other hand, if you will be staying in Spain for more than six months, then you should get a Foreigner Identity Card

Apply for a Foreigner Identity Card within one month of arrival in Spain, at the Foreigners Office in the area where you have settled.

Spain Student Visa Fees

When you submit your application for a Spain Student Visa, you will also need to pay a certain fee. The fee is required in order to cover the expenses for the processing of your application. The amount of money you need to pay depends on your nationality, as given below:

  • USA citizens will need to pay a fee of €141 to get a Student Visa for Spain.
  • Canadian citizens have to pay a fee of €83
  • Applicants of other nationalities have to pay a fee of only €80.

If you want to know what amount of money you need to pay when traveling to Spain for other purposes, check our article on Spain Visa Fees.

Spain Student Visa Validity

If you get a Long-Stay Student Visa for Spain for a maximum of 180 days, this means you cannot stay in Spain a day more.

On the other hand, if you get a Spain Student visa that does not mention such a restriction, you will then have to get a Foreigner Identity Card, which is valid for one year.  You can renew it for five times, as long as you continue the studies.


Can I Work with a Spain Study Visa?

If your Spanish Study Visa is valid for 180 days, then you cannot work in Spain. On the other hand, if your visa is valid for longer, then you can obtain your Foreigner Identity Card, which enables you to get a work authorization.

Your Spanish residence permit entitles you to work either part-time or in a temporary position. The company that employs you is responsible to apply or work authorization for you.

You will be permitted to study, as long as your job does not interfere with your studies. Note that a job in Spain while studying cannot be your first source of money.

Can I Bring My Family Members to Spain with a Student Visa?

Your family members – your spouse or registered partner, and dependent children under 18 – can join you while you are studying in Spain.

You must prove you have the financial means to support them. Their intended period of stay must be at least 6 months. They are not permitted to work while in Spain as dependents of a holder of a student visa.

Spain Short term Study Visa

If you want to attend a study course in Spain, that is shorter than three months, then apply for a Spain Study Visa. You should submit the following additional documents:

Documents to submit

To apply for a short term study course in Spain, you should submit the following documents:

  • Letter of admission at an education institution in Spain.
  • The content of the studies plan, training or research to be conducted.
  • Proof of payment of tuition or booking of the course or studies to be performed.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.